Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day -3 : An All-American Day

Well yesterday was truly a day of Americana...baseball, hot dogs, watermelon, swimming, fireworks! We also squeezed in some cleaning and shopping for necessities for the trip. All-in-all, a happy, happy family day.

Jake's allstar baseball team did pretty well yesterday -- they won 1 and lost 1. They play again today at 4 pm and if they win that game they will win second place in their pool and go on to to the quarter finals on Sunday. Not sure what is going to happen as it is TOTALLY dependent on which 8-year old kids show up for the game, but my guess is we will be playing on Sunday. I am the team pitcher so my job is simply to serve up strikes and let the kids whack it. A high ERA is good! Here's a picture of Jake in action:


After baseball it was time for a family meal of barbecued meats and watermelon, and of course some of Jill's delicious berry cobbler (our proxy for apple pie).

Tummies full, Jill and Natalie decided to hit the stores to purchase "necessities" for the trip (first aid kit, frisbee, gum), and the boys decided to watch an old favorite movie, the original Star Wars. What a blast! I don't know about you other old timers out there, but I can still recite verbatim nearly every line of that movie! It first came out when I was 13, living in Myers Flat, California (population 200). We had to drive 50 miles to Eureka, California to see it as my mom said there was a movie "I had to see." I remember being so amazed at what I saw and then driving back to Myers Flat, at night, looking out the window wondering if there was life out there and when I would be like Luke and go experience it. Pretty normal thoughts for a 13 year old boy I guess, but still as vivid to me as if it happened yesterday. And now my boys sat silently watching it, and I wondered if they were having the same thoughts of future adventure that I had had, 31 years ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

We ended the day with a fun swim at our little local swim and racquet club, Fairbrae. Of course what should have been a relaxing swim turned into WrestleMania, Lillie-style. For you other dads out there: is it my imagination or is it getting harder to wrestle your older children? Are they getting stronger, heavier, faster or is it just that we are getting a little weaker and maybe a tad bit slower? I am not sure of the answer, but I do know that there will be a day when Nick will make me cry uncle, will beat me in 1-on-1 basketball and in a game of ping pong (he's already close). Thank God for Cruz's boot camps to keep me young -- and Lord, please give me the courage to grow older with grace!

Happy 232nd Birthday, America!


Brian

No comments: