Friday, July 11, 2008

D-Day +3 & 4: Kansas!

What a couple of days it has been in the Land of Oz!

Thursday (D-Day +3) started out in Colorado at Kerry's house. We dragged our feet and didn't leave until after 10 AM, as we had completely unpacked and basically moved in! Here is what I was faced with when I woke up:

Thank you, Kerry, Michael and Emily (and Paul in abstentia) for such a warm welcome and wonderful evening.

After a healthy breakfast, extraordinarily-fast packing and many hugs goodbye, we headed east on Interstate 70 (I-70), looking forward to meeting Kansas for the first time as a family!








After a couple of hours of driving in eastern Colorado (flat, dry and very hot), we said goodbye to Colorado...













...and hello to Kansas!






When we stepped outside to take these pictures (the signs are less than 1/4 mile apart), there was a hot, dry wind blowing in our faces yet there was so much anticipation to see Kansas everyone smiled anyway! ;-)

Everyone says that driving through Kansas is two things: straight and boring. Well...I think there were two turns on I-70 across the whole state so the first comment is true. However, I would have to disagree with the second comment: the drive across Kansas was interesting and inspirational.

Let me share with you why in pictures...














US flag and Kansas state flag at the border.
















Windmills were everywhere along I-70 and from I what I hear they are all over Kansas!
















My kids first view of grain silos (Josh thought the pointed-roofed ones were rockets).















And there were more oil pumps in the fields of Kansas than I thought. There weren't as many of the power-generating windmills as in Texas, but The Pickens plan may soon change that.















And of course, one of the best moments of the day was the pest-sandwich lunch in the car...thanks Nonnie!! The Lillie Family sends our love and very special HAPPY BIRTHDAY wishes to Nonnie and Nonno as they both July birthdays (July 6th and 16th, respectively).

Eisenhower Center, Abilene, Kansas

One of the most wonderful moments of the day occurred when we drove to the Eisenhower Center in Abilene, Kansas. As an ex-military officer (USAF) and a student of military history, President and General Eisenhower is a hero of mine. In fact, I am reading a book on Eisenhower called, "Eisenhower on Leadership: Ike's Enduring Lessons in Total Victory Management" as a part of my ongoing desire to study leadership.










The Eisenhower Home has been restored and sits on the grounds near the Visitors Center. It is a relatively small home, especially considering the Eisenhowers had 6 boys in two bedrooms!


Here is a picture of the Lillie Family on the porch of the Eisenhower home, and next to it is a picture of the Eisenhower family (mom and dad and the 6 boys) almost 70 years before.















My hero.












A monument to an American hero.












Words to live by.


Horses and Dreams
On Friday July 11th we spent a day filled with horses and dreams. Our dear friend Melissa Cowan took us on a day we shall not soon forget, introducing us to some great people -- Libby, Tony, Stephanie, Susan and of course Randy -- and some wonderful horses: Ty, Cheyenne, Torpedo, and Taz (and many others -- these are just the 4 horses we rode).
It is now Saturday morning and we need to hit the road so not too many words other than a HEARTFELT THANK YOU to Melissa and to Libby and Tony for a wonderful day. Thanks for giving us such a wonderful gift! With people like this, the Living Life Ranch WILL HAPPEN!!
Here are a few pictures (that I will annotate later) to give you a little taste of what our day was like:


Libby and Melissa -- best pals!























Talk to you all soon!

Peace,

Brian

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Lillie family! Very Special thanks for the wonderful time and memory you left with me and my friends in Kansas. We all love you and didn't want you to leave.

I love you all very much! Wow what a wonderful family. Saying good bye was so hard we didn't get enough time together. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. I can't believe how attached I feel to all of you!
Brian and Jill your children are all so wonderful thank you for letting me spend time with them.

Nick, Natalie, Jake & Josh, You brought such happiness to me I can't even begin to tell you. I enjoyed you SO MUCH!!! Please, please come back and see me. I just hated saying good bye. This was the BEST time I have had in years! I couldn't believe it was over so fast. You will always have a special place in my heart. Thank you for being so nice to me and making me feel so happy!

Jill, I am so thrilled I was able to meet you and spend time with you it was such a pleasure and you are such a beautiful person inside and out you I will cherish your friendship always I truly wish you could be here in Kansas and be with me always. I feel we could talk for hours none stop! Yes Brian more than I do now LOL!

Brian, I know God brought you into my life for several reasons. I was drawn to your leadership the first meeting I attended. I was thinking "Wow" this is guy is amazing! A true leader the kind I only read about. You are everything I imagined plus more so much more all I can say is Thank you for wanting to be involved in LLR, for being a friend and for bringing you & your family into my life. I have been thanking God for all of you today what a GREAT BLESSING in my life!

I truly love each and every one of you as if you were my very own family. God Bless you all and I hope you have many more great times on this road trip.