Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 21 (28th): Bozeman, Montana State University and memories...

Hello All,

Today was a day full of memories, stories and a visit with my best college buddy, Roger Bay.

I am not sure I mentioned it in this blog, but I did my undergraduate degree in Mathematics at Montana State University from 1982-1986. It was definitely a trip down memory lane, as Jill, the kids and I had a wonderful evening on the campus, eating pizza at Colombo's Pizza and Pasta and then walking around the campus to my freshman dorm (North Hedges), the Strand Union Building ("the SUB" as it is called), and the place of my first slip on Montana's icy sidewalks, Montana Hall.

The kids were great, asking me to tell story after story of my years at Montana State, and I enjoyed reliving it with them, telling them many stories, including how I played intramural flag football with Paul Mathern, who ended up marrying Jill's cousin Kerry (we visited Kerry in Lafayette, Colorado at the beginning of the trip). It was really fun to share these stories with the family.

And to top it all off, we got in a late night visit with rappin' Roger Bay. Roger was my best buddy in college, as we ran together, danced together (we were in the MSU dance company together), fished together and hiked together. He was even in our wedding 20 years ago. He is an EXCELLENT guy and what is cool is that no matter how long between visits, he will always be my buddy. He came up to the room and saw the kids (they were all sleeping) and Jill, Roger and I sat in the room and got caught up on the last several years and enjoyed a few good laughs. We finished talking at about 1:30 am, hugged and said our goodbyes, promising to communicate more often. Roger even promised to teach me how to surf in Capitola! It was a wonderful day and night.

We left Bozeman on the afternoon of the 29th (the Madison Fish Story is in between but this keeps the MSU piece contiguous), after stopping to take some shots by the university sign and after grabbing a world famous Pickle Barrel sandwich. This little sandwich shop has been there since I went to school there and has the best sandwiches anywhere. I am seriously thinking of opening one of these in Palo Alto or in Davis...it would be a gold mine!

Peace,

Brian

***

Montana State University


Colombo's (AWESOME pizza place)


The World Famous Pickle Barrel Sandwich Shop

No comments: