Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 22 (29th): Flyfishing on the Madison River, Ennis, Montana

Hello Everyone,

This was a day for the ages -- a day of fly fishing on the Madison River. This brought back so many memories as when I was 20 years old, I traveled around western Montana that summer, fly fishing all of the major rivers and streams in the area, including the Madison. That was one of my favorite times in life, traveling from place to place, fly fishing, camping, talking with the locals. The summer of '85. And it was extra special because Nick was with me this time.

We left Bozeman at 0700 to head out to Ennis, Montana. This is an absolutely beautiful drive, passing through Four Corners, Belgrade, Norris, McAllister and finally Ennis. We went into town and stopped at Shedhorn Sports, an amazing sporting goods store that had everything a boy could dream of. I picked up my fishing license and a few flies and then Nick saw something that made his eyes light up -- a fly fishing vest like his dad's. It was olive colored and wll made, and was on sale for $25. I decided to get it for him as a gift from Montana -- he was ecstatic! I also picked up a pair of retractable clippers so he could clip his line and a pair of fishing pliers for removing fish from his line. Nick was so happy...he wore it out of the store and all of the way to the river.

We arrived at the river below Ennis lake (Bearcat Canyon) at about 0830 and started fishing: I was flyfishing and Nick was using a spinning reel with a Panther Martin lure. I started with nymphs (a bead head Prince nymph, size 14 for you fishermen out there) and quickly hooked about a 16" rainbow trout -- what a start! I then hit a dry spell using nymphs and was thinking about switching to dries as I saw several caddis hitting the water and fish rising to them. I put on an Elk Hair Caddis (#14) and all heck broke loose! Wherever a fish was rising I would cast there and drop the fly on the water and WHAM! a fish would rise to my fly. Over the next few hours I hooked at least 20 fish, including the few pictured below (sorry for the quality of the photos as I only had my iPhone and my left hand!) It was a morning to remember.

Unfortunately, Nick did not have as much luck with the Panther Martin, receiving no strikes all morning. He was a GREAT sport as he stuck with it, until the afternoon when we went back to the store, picked up a few more Elk Hair caddis flies that we could float using a clear bobber and his spinning reel. Nick caught two fish in the afternoon and did everything himself: presented the fly, hooked the fish, landed it, used his new pliers to remove the hook and released the fish. I was so proud of him! I think we have a new fly fisherman in the family, as he is now motivated to take a fly fishing class and buy his own rod. I am *very* happy about that!

We ended the afternoon with a drive back through some beautiful Montana country, singing Garth Brooks songs and enjoying each other's company -- it was a magical day.

While we were fishing, Jill and the other three kids slept in a little bit, swam at the hotel, and went shopping in downtown Bozeman. They had a blast but Jill will have to write some details a bit later when she can sit at the computer! We picked them up in downtown around 7 pm and went on a very special shopping trip: to find Natalie her first cowboy boots and cowboy hat! We went to Corral West Ranchware and Natalie was in heaven!! We found the perfect boots for her, a classic pair of brown Laredo's, and of course a straw Stetson hat with a horsehair strap. She was on cloud nine as we picked these treasures out with her -- she wore them out of the store and to dinner at Fuddrucker's. She was SOOOO happy!

I cannot imagine a more wonderful day.

Peace,

Brian

***

Madison River below Ennis Lake in Bearcat Canyon


Some of the fish we caught in the Madison


Natalie, Jake and Josh Shopping with Jill while Nick and I were fishing


Natalie's First "real" Cowboy Boots and Cowboy Hat

No comments: