Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 23 (30th): Driving from Bozeman to Spokane, Washington

Hello All,

Well...I must admit that this morning I woke up a bit sad. We were leaving Bozeman, Montana and headed for home, with the roadtrip of a lifetime almost over. We have had so much fun together and seen so many things, I really don't want it to end. But, alas, all good things must come to an end and this roadtrip is one of them. We will have some adventures on the last few days I am sure, but it does feel sad. When I attended MSU I was always sad to leave Bozeman and head west, and this morning was no different, only more poignant because I got to share some of my past and special places with Jill and the kids. Sniff. But I will be forever grateful for this time in my life -- what a gift.

The drive to Spokane is an interesting one, passing through the mining town of Butte, Montana, the huge town of Cardwell (population 40, and famous for its BIG stuffed moose and Lewis & Clark camp spot), the university town of Missoula, Montana (a pretty town and home of the hated U of M Grizzlies), Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, and finally Spokane, Washington. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott downtown at the Convention Center which was an absolutely lovely place to stay. The rooms were excellent, the staff extremely friendly and courteous, and the hotel is in a *great* location: on the Spokane River, adjacent to Gonzaga University, the Riverpoint campus of Washington State University, and across the street from the Spokane Convention Center.

The highlight of the evening was walking around the Gonzaga University campus at night. I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with the beauty, cleanliness and peacefulness of this campus. From the sports facilities to the law school to the signs on the lamp posts, we all felt safe and at home on this lovely campus. Just from walking around the campus I got the feeling that the school's concept of "developing your total self" through their "humanistic, Catholic, Jesuit tradition" was not just a recruiting tactic but a way of teaching young men and women. Go 'Zags!

Well off to Eugene now to see Kathy, Clint, the girls and the University of Oregon!

Peace,

Brian

***
The BIG Moose, Cardwell, Montana



Entering Idaho


Gonzaga University at night






Gonzaga University Law School

1 comment:

The Gumms said...

(Not sure if the last comment posted). Hi Jake! Thanks for the post card. I can't believe you caught such a big fist. I can't wait to start football with you. I went to Tahoe this week. Taylor made me to to a Paramore/Phantom Planet/Jack's Mannequin concert. Phantom gave us donuts at 11pm - it was awesome. I also did a ropes course. Have a good trip home! See you soon! Joshua